System of the DOW




I was watching the market go by 

and I must have got caught by its undertow or something,

I got carried off by the ticker's lights to a strange place




- Where am I?

a voice is heard through a loudspeaker 

1, 2 is this on? Ahem! - Welcome inside the System.

- the system?

- The System that rules over mankind what you would call the almighty economic system

- Oh, I see. Why is it so run down?

- Because it's an outdated system darling, but you humans insist on keeping using it.

- Outdated?

- That's the problem. Most people don't seem to know. Shall I give you a tour?

- Sure, I mean, I don't know much about the economy 

- Not a problem darling, I shall provide some explanations. You have a system that has not adapted, therefore it is slowly decaying. Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change said, Stephen Hawking. 

For instance. We the markets do not like uncertainties. We are very fragile that way.

Yet humans live in uncertain times. It is a real part of modern-day angst. And for good reasons. Then why using the same old car

If you live in the mountains you get yourself a 4 wheel drive. If you live in Milan you get yourself a Vespa. It all depends on the terrain darling. 

All you humans want, is to see the market go up, profits go up. You also want to cut waste and focus on climate change... Ironic

Most products are designed with a limited life span to maximize profit. How many vacuum cleaners do you need to buy during your life span?

All of this is base, of course, on infinite economic growth.

The Entry of the gladiators (Thunder & Blazes) is heard in the background

Need I say more?

- We humans do have some paradox.

- Paradox? Call it whatever you want. I said it before and I'll say it again, you humans are right down plane crazy. 

Sound of microphone moving

- Wait. Sir. David Attenborough wants to say something, he's also visiting.

- “Anyone who believes in infinite growth on a physically finite planet is either mad or an economist.”

- Here you go darling hope you have enjoyed your tour. If you did, do tell your friends while the place is still standing.

- Thank you for the tour. Now, how do I get back to where I was?

- Just follow the yellow ticker's lights. Goodbye darling


Comments